SAFETY IN ACTIVITIES
- ALL arts and craft supplies (markers, glue, etc.) will be non-toxic and will remain in a locked closet when not in use. For residents who enjoy independent use of these items, a locked drawer or area will be provided on an individual basis.
- Sharp objects, such as scissors, needles, knitting needles etc. will be kept in a locked area when not in use. These sharp objects will be closely monitored during use in an activity.
- Nail polish remover, aromatherapy oils, etc. will be kept in a locked area when not in use.
- A Safety Data Sheet (SDS) must be available for all potentially hazardous supplies that may be ingested such as glue, paint, aromatherapy oils, etc. Please do not purchase or bring in supplies such as these, without getting approval from the
Director or Assistant Director of Recreation. We must have an a Safety Data Sheet for each product.
- Resident limitations will always be considered and monitored closely during activity programs.
- Monitor residents closely during a cooking program to ensure residents do not get burned or injury themselves with knives, potato peelers etc.
- If an incident occurs, it will be reported to the Nurse Manager and Director or Assistant Director of Recreation.
An incident report will then be completed.
- Recreation staff is to report to the Charge Nurse when leaving the day room for any reason. Residents are not to be left unattended in the dayroom!
- Follow all facility policies and procedures for fall prevention, abuse prevention, elopement prevention, fire drills, evacuation plans, smoking, etc.
- For all outside and trip-related activities, follow policies and protocol in relation to weather (too hot, cold, icy, raining, etc.), in addition to any community trip policies you may have.
- When in doubt - ASK! It's better to be safe than sorry!