Why should Activity and Recreation Professions Advocate? The following are just some of the reasons.
- There is a lack of understanding of what type of service we provide.
- We donít speak out enough as a profession or as a professional.
- As a profession and as individual professionals, we need to market ourselves and our profession more.
- Thereís great need to educate others about the importance of therapeutic activities.
- Activity Directors losing their positions and/or responsibility changes.
- Decrease in quality activity programming.
- Cancellation of activity programming..
- Itís our civic responsibility. We are not just advocating for ourselves and our profession, but for the resdients and clients we serve!
Create Personal Branding Statement
Some tips include:
- Develop a brief introduction about yourself.
- Not just your title.
- What it is that you DO? (a tag-line).
- 6 seconds or less.
- Then if the party is interested, you can go into your elevator pitch.
Sample personal branding statement:
I am Lisa Williams, Recreation Director. I ensure that every individual has the opportunity to enjoy meaningful recreational connections in our Home and in our community."
An elevator pitch is an overview of an idea for a product, service, or project.
It is about 30 seconds or less.
Sample Elevator Pitches
- I am Lisa Williams, Recreation Director of the NJ Veterans Memorial Home at Vineland. I ensure that individuals at our Home know that living here is not the end of the journey, but the beginning of a new and exciting adventure! Life in our Home consists of countless opportunities to enjoy meaningful recreational moments. I also serve as Dream Weaver for our Home. I make every effort to see that the dreams of my residents become a priceless reality in their life. Whether it is to fly in a plane or to reconnect with an old friend, I’ll work to make it happen!
- I plan, initiate, and promote personalized activities to enhance the quality of life of each individual. I base each activity calendar on the needs, desires and strengths of each individual. I train, mentor, supervise staff and volunteers. I am a partner with individuals families to provide the best physical, mental, emotional well being to their loved ones and work as a mentor to families. I am the residents advocate! Michele Henifin, Activity Director, Horizon Health.