return to crystal property menu
Obsidian is not a mineral but rather natural volcanic glass. In it's natural state it has smooth curves (conchoidal fracture) as seen in the picture on the right. Obsidian is usually black but can sometimes have a golden or rainbow sheen. Obsidian may also be brown or tan (Mahogany Obsidian) and sometimes green but be weary of bright green or blue "Obsidian" for that is usually man-made. Snowflake Obsidian is Black Obsidian with white or grey spots of Cristobalite. Obsidian has a Mohs hardness of 5 - 5.5. It is said that some of the metaphysical properties of Black Obsidian may include:
- Using as a scrying tool (see video below)
- Grounding and strength
- Spiritual protection and cleansing
- Associated with the Earth Star and Root Chakras
- Very powerful negative energy removal (facing them and then releasing)
- Face one's true self
- Cutting energetic cords (see letting go video below)
- Has a fiery, intense energy
Pictured on the left is a crystal grid designed to help with letting
go of the past, including possible past life and karmic energies.
The grid features, Black Obsidian arrowheads, Pink, Yellow, Green and Orange Calcites, Satin Spar, Petrified Wood and Clear Quartz.
Check out the ginormous arrowhead below. Wowza!